Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Great Hair/ Wig Adventure

I know you've been waiting with baited breath for the updates on my big haircut... Sorry. I've been laid out flat all weekend, feeling like a mushy bowl of goo. Blech!

Well, here's how it all went down.  I chose my stylist very carefully. Bekah Hauert goes to Embrace Church with us, and her sweet little 6-year-old daugher, Ady is on the final rounds of her chemo treatments. I knew I wanted Bekah to cut my hair from the time I decided to get it done. I haven't had a real haircut from a professional in quite a while, so it was nice to be pampered! Bekah was awesome. She had some great stories to share about Ady's hair loss (that seems weird, but it wasn't), as well as advice about when my hair starts to grow back in, and she kept things fun and light.

I left for my haircut at about noon. KSFY met me there, and filmed my new drastic haircut. Here's some pictures:

Here's the before pics, I guess.

You have to put your hair in a ponytail or braid to donate it.

Here it goes!

There's my hair! Goes to some lucky kid, I guess. :) I was surprised to find out that they only use the donated hair in kids' wigs. So the wig I will get will be a synthetic one. Have to be careful not to melt it!

Bekah even put some pink streaks in and set me up with some hair goop to keep things fun. Here's how it looked the next day (minus the pink streaks, because I was wearing blue):

I like it. Cute, easy and fun. Too bad it will only last a couple of weeks!

After the haircut, I went straight over to the Prairie Center and met with Dell for my wig fitting. I had invited a couple of friends along for that, and Polly didn't even recognize me when I waved to her! 

We had a good time trying out different styles and colors. She said to choose the style first, then we would pick the color from there. We had a little fun!

The girls really liked this one, but the back was a little weird. I wasn't sold on it.

What do you think? Blondie?

My hair actually looked a lot like this for a long time...


Aubrey is clearly not impressed with this one! 
I don't want a long one. I'm going to have it for the summer, 
and I spent all summer last year with my hair in a ponytail! 


This is the one I ended up and picked with the help of Aubrey (left) and (Polly), as well as Dell the wig lady, Mom, and the cameraman! It's a fun little asymmetrical bob.  It will be a slightly lighter color for the summer season. 

After all the ruckus, I sent the paparazzi home and my mom & I went up to the oncology unit, where they gave me a shot called Neulasta, which they give within 24 hours of chemo. Wow, not a fan. It tells your bones to produce white cells to make up for the drop in immunity chemo does to you. Sadly, one of the side effects is that your bones get pretty achy. Within hours, I was a pooped pup, but we were able to get together with my dad & step-mother to celebrate her birthday for a nice dinner at Red Lobster, and a little swim time for the kids at their hotel.



I was a yucky, mushy mess for the next 2 days. My Saturday and Sunday were pretty rough. I felt the aches mostly in my hips, lower molars and at the base of my skull on Saturday. By this morning (Sunday), it was all I could do to get up and out of bed to get the kids and me to church that morning. I have been eating well, however, and the nausea has not set in, so that is a huge blessing! 

I did get a migraine aura this evening, so I took a couple of Tylenol and had a cup of coffee. Avoided the headache, which is good. The hope was that with all the estrogen blocking chemo provides, I would get to drop the migraines... We'll have to see, I guess.

I am planning to go back to work tomorrow, and am thankful that my students are pretty gracious. I'm feeling better at bedtime tonight (Sunday), so I'm hopeful that tomorrow will be a good day... Prayers appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. Cute choice, I like it. Sending no nausea thoughts. Mine usually hit within the first three days so you may have missed it.....I'll keep my fingers crossed. Let me know if you need anything from the south??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying as you head back to work - love the wig! Totally you! Of course the cut is darling! Tell the stylist she gets a 2 thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Monday so I am praying for you. Praying for the pukes to stay away. For strength to do the necessary things. For people to treat you lovingly. In Jesus name. Amen. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an encouragement to read your blog. So even I don't know you I send you all my love. I keep praying for you and your family. Know your parents from AZ. Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - I'm sorry you felt terrible. I'm so thankful that you've pursued a lot of things in life that you love so when you go to your job for instance, it'll be hard, but at least you love it. I just mean hopefully all the hard things that you've fought for while you had strength will help buoy you now while you don't have a lot of strength.
    Remember how verbose I was in high school? Not much has changed.
    Love the wig!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you've made the very best from a hard situation - and that cut is adorable, as is the wig - you really stand out in a very good way. Good luck over the next few weeks. I know firsthand that it's not easy, but you'll get through (and it's lovely to see so much support in your life too). I hope you feel better soon. ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, love the cut and the wig, too. We continue to pray for you and Matt and the kids. I'm so glad to see your spirits are up. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Sometimes I LOL, sometimes it brings tears to my eyes. Your strength in the Lord is coming through, loud and clear. Take care.

    ReplyDelete