Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Snow Day

Yes, on April 9. We are in the midst of a severe ice storm, and it looks like it's only going to get worse through the rest of the day and overnight.

Mom & I made it to the cancer center for my chemo education session and wig fitting, but alas, they were running on emergency power, and rescheduling all appointments because the computer network was down.

Got me all rescheduled for the chemo ed. tomorrow morning, and my wig appointment will actually be after my haircut on Friday.  No big deal.  Mom did take advantage of a slight lull in the storm to head back home and will come back on Thursday for chemo.

When the wig lady stopped by to reschedule me (she came and found me, which I thought was pretty cool), we talked a little about the options. She noticed my long locks, and said they had some pretty, long options for "younger gals like you."  :)  I said I was ready for a change and want something short and funky, she said that she has plenty of fun styles to choose from. I told her I'm an actress, and he got the picture pretty quick!  My mom wants to go along so that in case I choose something ridiculous (What? Me? Never!), she can also get one to disguise her identity!

So, here's something neat that happened while we were sitting in the waiting area. Mom made a phone call, and the lady next to me overheard that we were just getting started in the whole process. She has all the same markers as me, and just finished her 6th round of the hard stuff, now it's on to the Herceptin (monthly infusions for a year), which is much easier. She was wearing a wig that looked very natural (I wouldn't have known if she hadn't told me), and was really encouraging. Told me a couple of things to look out for, your scalp can get irritated, there's a prescription cream for that, and don't just suffer through the mouth sores- there's a prescription mouthwash for that.  Also, be aware that you get a "chemo baby."  A little fat round tummy. (Have to go shopping for fat clothes. DISLIKE). She was very peaceful, and said, "You're going to get through this just fine."  It was a nice little gift to meet her.

After she left, another woman stopped by, wearing a head scarf with bandages underneath. She clearly had been much more ravaged by the disease (or rather, the treatment) than the first lady, but she had a wonderful attitude. I asked her where she was in the process, and she cheerfully said, "Oh honey, I'm Stage 4. I was almost at the 5 year mark, when they found it again. It's in my bones and all my major organs. I will have it for the rest of my life."  Not a stitch of self-pity in this woman. I felt just awful for her, but kept my attitude positive as we talked. She knows everyone there, of course, and is so friendly and chipper, but I couldn't just get up and leave so I asked if I could pray for her before we said good-bye. She said, "You're good at that!"  I told her I practice a lot.  It was a beautiful chance to get to be an encouragement to someone else for a change. Her name is Gina and if you would like to pray for her, she would really love that.

I don't think either of those ladies was a chance encounter. Thank you, Lord for pouring out your blessings, so that we can in turn pour them out on others.

2 comments:

  1. There are never chance encounters, and I'm sure you were put there for them just as much as they were for you :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned the following from the Daniel study by Beth Moore, I hope it helps you<3 There are three different scenarios we can be in when we face trials. Scenario A: We can be delivered FROM the fire....ie. Divine healing etc. The dividend is that our faith is BUILT. Scenario B: We can be delivered THROUGH the fire, ie. like what you are going through now. Doing what the doctors say and doing treatment as best as humanly possible. Living with the disease. Dividend is that our faith is REFINED. Scenario C: We can be delivered by fire into HIS arms. The dividend here is that our faith is PERFECTED. I thought about this teaching reading through this story. I think this encounter was a CHANCE for you to share God's love with someone.I believe with all my heart that illness including cancer and lupus etc. teach us so much about God and how strong He is. It teaches us that others suffer and how to minister to them. It teaches us that in our own struggles we can share love and mercy. And I have learned that it isn't always about me. A scripture that I am constantly reminded of is
    2 Corinthians 1:3-5 NLT 3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. 4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. 5 For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ.

    I know it isn't Monday but I prayed for you anyway and want you to know that I got you, and so does our Lord. <3 Lori

    ReplyDelete