Saturday, June 1, 2013

Alternative Therapies

3 down, 3 to go!

I made it through my third chemo treatment last week, and am on the upswing again.  Hooray!

I started a project, and I'm kind of making my family crazy, I'm afraid.  I decided to redecorate my bedroom. It was perfectly nice before, but I wanted a change. It started with paint colors, but soon involved new bedding, which I am sewing myself- because duh! You can't change the wall color and keep the same bedding! And then I decided I needed to make new window treatments- for the same reason. And of course, the adjoining bathroom had to change too... which means some major changes that I'd been hoping to make for a while- including painting the double vanity, framing in the big contractor's mirror, changing out the light fixtures, adding a built-in ironing board- which then of course needs a new outlet installed... you see how this could get out of hand.

The project got a jump start when we decided to install new carpet in the entire house. And while we're at it, better change the linoleum in the bathrooms and the entryway (This is my mom & step-dad's project. They actually own the duplex that we live in). That all starts on Monday, and I kind of wanted to get the walls painted before the new floors came in so I didn't muck up the new carpet.

I promise I will post pictures of all this, but right now, everything is in the "worse before it gets better" stage... Here's a tiny preview... but it's not done.

Here's a before pic of the bedroom

and the bathroom

And here's a start on the after pics... I'm not done yet.

I actually just painted the bathroom green today, 
hence the paint cans on the counter!


And then I accidentally started a small group. Well, a women's Bible study that meets at my house every Friday. It all started with me kind of wanting to mentor this former student/ current worship leader friend of mine. We started the Beth Moore "Daniel" study together and very quickly concluded that more people need to be involved in it. So now we have a group of 9 ladies meeting at my house on Fridays for the next 12 weeks.

Normally in the summers, I am wiped out from the frenzy of the school year. I take time to relax & recharge, get very little done, and spend a lot of time lounging by the pool. So why the sudden burst of activity? I've been trying to figure that out. My brain and my body won't slow down! I wake up every morning before 6 am (that is REALLY not like me), and I start thinking of all the things I can accomplish today.

This is what I've come up with. I think I'm a control freak. And I can't sit still. I need something to be in  control of, since I can't really control my disease, and I don't have much control over my treatment. If I think about it too much, I feel like I'm being carried away by this whirlwind of events that are out of my control. So I control other stuff. I just used the word "control" 7 times. Sorry.

Speaking of my disease... Oh yeah, that's why you have all been checking in! I wanted to take a minute to sing the praises of the Avera Prairie Center. I have been keeping an eye on this place since it was built. As a matter of fact, Matt & I snagged tickets to the grand opening in October of 2010, because Lance Armstrong was the keynote speaker. This was, of course before his fall from grace.

(moment of silence)

I was very impressed by the overall peacefulness of the place, and the beauty and artistry incorporated into the space. Aside from being a world-class cancer treatment center, it incorporates several integrative therapies for patients to take advantage of, including exercise classes, acupuncture, massage, a wig salon, art and music therapists, a dietician, a cafe that features the Mediterranean diet, and a live music area, with a grand piano and frequent performances from local artists. There is beautiful art hanging all over the building, and a lovely prayer chapel nook on one end of the atrium.

A couple of things I want to specifically talk about is the Look Good, Feel Better program, which is not limited to the Prairie Center. It is provided by the American Cancer Society, and is available to any woman with any kind of cancer. It is a skin care/ makeup class for cancer patients where they can get together and learn about the specific challenges that come with chemo and radiation treatments. They provide a kit including makeup and skincare products from several different companies- it's not about any specific brand, and a chance for these women to get together with others who are all in the same boat.

I showed up a half hour late because I'm a duh, but there were 4 other survivors there. Well, 5, including our presenter, Del. She's also the wig lady, and totally awesome. Anyway, she said that this session was rare in that we were all breast cancer patients (except for her). Three of the ladies were older than me, and one was about the same age. We all shared our stories, and we talked a little about our treatments. It once again became clear that there is no cookie-cutter treatment out there. We all have our own battles to face, and I was struck again by how very, very fortunate I was to find my lump when I did.

We watched a video, in which the participants actually bared their bald heads with each other (gasp!) while doing makeovers with the goodies in our bags. When it came time for us to wash our faces and do our own facials, I said, "OK ladies. Are we doing this?" and I took my hair off. One of the older women looked at me aghast, then very self-consiously took off her own wig. We all talked about how vulnerable it made us feel to go "au naturale" in front of anyone besides our immediate families.

I didn't necessarily learn anything new at this class, but it was the closest thing to a support group I've attended, and it was nice to be able to talk to others in sort of the same situation. I highly recommend the class to any woman going through chemo treatments. It's true. When you look good, you DO feel better.

Another program that I've taken advantage of is the acupuncture in the integrative therapy studio on site. My oncologist recommended that I give it a try for some of the side effects of chemotherapy. I was too busy to get a treatment right around my first round of chemo, but that first round gave me an idea what kind of side effects would plague me the most. For me, it was diarrhea, extreme heartburn, fatigue, some nausea (but not too bad), and a little later, neuropathy. Dr. Flickema, the medical acupuncturist who performs the acupuncture, knows right where to put the needles, and by golly, it works! I was skeptical, I'll admit, but I've had 6 treatments, and it has helped immensely! I haven't had to take any meds for nausea, heartburn or even diarrhea since starting acupuncture.

I grabbed some pictures. It feels weird when she inserts the needles. I have to force myself to relax. And the ones in my wrists give me a good zing every time, but it doesn't really hurt. It's just weird.

She does my legs and feet,

belly,

elbows and wrists.

It is unfortunate that most insurances won't cover acupuncture. I had a generous benefactor (OK, my mom) cover the cost of these treatments, but not everyone has those advantages. I would highly recommend it if there is any way you can swing it (on top of all those other mounting medical bills. YIKES!)

I have to say, in the department of God's great provision, He has proven faithful time and time again.
Every time I start to worry about money, I have decided to pray about it instead, and God's people have been so generous to meet our needs. We have received sizable cash donations, gift cards, meals, car repairs, garden produce, and numerous other gifts from not only our dear friends, but others who just know of us and our situation. I am so humbled and overwhelmed by these gifts, and it is so cool to be able to show our kids God's tangible provision in our time of need. It has built our faith tremendously.

It hasn't always been this way. Usually, I pray for God's provision, and he sends me another student ("Ugh! You mean I have to WORK for it?") and I have to somehow add more work into my already busy schedule. It seems like every time we get a little financial cushion built up, a major car repair or unexpected expense rears its ugly head. In nearly 21 years of marriage, we've never gotten ahead, but God has always provided. He has proven Himself faithful time and time again.

Thought I would close this post with some pictures of my many wigs.

As you remember, this is the first wig I got:
I almost always wear it with a scarf tied around it. 
It just kind of sits funny. It's OK, but I'm not wild about it.

So I got another one. I wear this one almost every day now. 
I like it a lot. It's light, easy, and gives me a completely different look!
It may be the only time in my life I'll have blonde hair, so I'm rolling with it.

The rest of these are my silly wigs. Mostly they just sit in a box in my closet, but I have them just in case...

Let's call this one "Natasha"

And I don't know... "Blonde Natasha"

This one is "Adelaide"

I will wear this one when I play Pinocchio later this month

Try as I might, I can't make this one look right. 

And everyone needs a blonde beehive. 





5 comments:

  1. Thank you Amy for sharing. I found the story of my husband in your business. He wants control of a lot of things too after his heart disease. And I understand why. May be I should give him a project like rebuilding the bedroom too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was supposed to be light and not serious...and it was...but somehow, I sit here crying anyway...As always, your strength is so inspiring...but I'm sure that if you're anything like me, you're sitting there scoffing, thinking, "Julie, what am I supposed to do? The sun comes up, whether I want it to or not...the kids have to get to school...breakfast has to be made...bills have to be paid..." I know, I know...we have to keep going, no matter what trials we face...the loss of a child, cancer, financial issues, divorce, job losses, parent issues, parenting issues...we keep moving...I just admire your ability to see the humor in all of it and to keep that smile on your face...You are an amazing woman, Amy...Cancer picked the wrong woman to mess with, that's for sure...Thank you, once again, for helping me to remember to keep putting one foot in front of the other with a smile on my face each step of the way...Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of a kind. Just the way God intended. He chose you to inspire all of us. I find myself very humbled tonight. Thank you for blessing me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the updates. Love how one thing with home construction leads to another thing:). Praying for you as we march on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think by far my favorite is the beehive....very marge simpson (minus the blue) but your shirt was blue so that works.

    ReplyDelete